Previs Pipeline TDCulver City , CA Apply now
The Previsualization (Previs) Pipeline Technical Director is responsible primarily to develop and maintain the Previs pipeline. They will improve tools and build scripts that enhance workflows through the Previs pipeline and shot database, and serve as a first line of support for Previs shows.
The collective goal is to generate exciting visuals using powerful and efficient tools and workflows.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design systems, maintain existing tools, and support artists and leads in their production tasks.
- Troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Support and work with multiple production departments including Previs, Motion Capture, Virtual Production, Layout, Animation, Rigging, and FX.
- Maintain a high degree of competence, attention to detail, and quality control feedback within the existing pipeline.
- Identify technology needs and coordinate with the development team to implement them effectively.
- Remain abreast of new technologies and emerging industry trends, integrating them into the existing infrastructure.
- Ensure that all software development follows studio policies and guidelines.
- Manage software deployment for artist teams in remote locations.
- As the Previs Pipeline TD, you will be a key member of Previs team. Your days will be comprised of:
- Developing, testing, and maintaining Previs pipeline proprietary software tools and components.
- Investigating bugs/issues with existing tools, while participating in designing and implementing fixes and features as needed.
- Reporting to the Head of Visualization but working closely with the Head of Technology, VFX Supervisors, and other leads/supervisors to help engineer solutions (tools and workflow) for pipeline enhancements and fixes.
- Working directly with artists to investigate and address urgent issues related to custom pipeline tools, both locally and remotely.
- Working directly with supervisors and production staff in a fast-paced environment.
- Mentoring and providing guidance to junior members of the team, through hands-on training and documentation.
Technicolor VFX is the best of both worlds, we can work with you as standalone VFX creatives, or fully integrated with our Technicolor Post family to support your vision from script to screen.
- Computer Science, Computer Animation, or Technical Artist Degree
- 3+ years of experience in the following areas:
o feature animation, commercials or TV pipeline technology
o VFX animation and/or rigging experience
o 2D + 3D camera tracking and/or layout experience
o game engine workflows
o production pipeline technology
- Proficiency in Python
- Proficiency in OS command lines, such as PowerShell and bash
- Proficiency with Maya scripting in MEL
- Proficiency using one or more industry-specific vendor software applications: Maya, After Effects, Nuke, Photoshop, Motion Builder, Houdini , etc.
- Proficiency with one or more vendor scripting APIs: Houdini Python (hython), Unity C#, AfterEffects ExtendScript, etc.
- Proficiency in using version control systems (Git, Perforce, SVN).
- Proficiency in developing graphical user interfaces (PyQt is preferable).
- Familiarity with game engine workflows (Unity, Unreal, CryEngine).
- Proficiency in using the Shotgun asset management system or equivalent.
- A strong understanding of production processes and artist workflows within film and television visual effects pipelines.
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodology, including Atlassian Suite (JIRA, Crucible, Confluence).
- Familiarity with unit testing, integration testing, and CD/CI frameworks.
- Familiarity with the VFX pipeline: Modeling, Texturing, Animation, Rigging, Editing.