Head of TechnologyLondon Apply now
Head of Technology – London
Posting date: 25th January 2019
£60,000 - £80,000
Twenty eight years of innovation has established The Mill as a recognised global brand for creating seamless visual effects, but we are also leaders in design, animation, live action content direction, VFX brand accounts, versioning and global adaptations, digital content creation and distribution. Our ability to package multiple services allows us to deliver both schedule and budget efficiencies and to create with the multi-platform world in mind. The Mill is seeking a Head of Technology (HoT) to join our ever expanding group to report directly to the local London MD and Group Technology Director in LA.
The role is a senior management position that represents The Mill brand and values and holds responsibility for providing vision and leadership to the London Technology team. The role requires the successful development and delivery of the Technology strategic plan to increase profitability in line with the company objectives and financial commitments.
The HoT will work in collaboration with local and worldwide technology team leaders; implementing tools and systems that allows The Mill to operate at optimum performance. The role-holder will possess a natural authority, strong personal drive and hold the ability to solve problems through creativity and innovation, whilst demonstrating a structured approach and clarity when making decisions. The HoT is responsible for driving change and delivering continuous improvement by being a source of motivation and inspiration for the team.
· Devise and deliver the Technology strategic plan
· Lead the Technology team – set strategic direction and objectives, recruit and manage the career progression, salary reviews, welfare and morale of the team.
· Develop and coach the team and ensure succession planning throughout the department
· Plan, coordinate and lead specific projects and oversee projects managed by more junior Engineers, managing any escalated issues
· Closely manage and advise the Principle and Lead Engineers and empower them to manage individual teams within the department
· Supervise and ensure quality control on all projects and give feedback when required
· Keeps abreast of current trends and practices in field of expertise
· Develop technology budgets, manage Capital Expenditure to ensure business success
· Perform capacity planning, system administration, system tuning, problem analysis and hardware/software upgrades
· Network design, management and troubleshooting. Layer 2/3 network switches
· Responsible for monitoring and responding to technical hardware and software problems utilizing a variety of testing tools and techniques for desktop, servers, LAN/WAN, voice or video networks
· Ensure proper documentation of systems and procedures and develops local administrative policies and procedures to ensure database and system integrity
· Shared storage design, management and troubleshooting of SAN/NAS/RAID/JBOD
· Propose and implement system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system
Skills and Experience
The HoT should have extensive experience working in a Visual Effects or similar industry with some international experience preferred. Experience of managing a large team with change management experience is also a must, and it is essential that the role holder is an experienced and inspirational coach able to mentor, teach, train and support the wider team of engineers. We expect our HoT to have a reputation for outstanding personal skills to thus ensuring effective communication with our Production, DevOps and Global Tech team. The role requires a deep understanding of CGI software and workflow, real-time technologies (Unity, Unreal), automation/configuration management and AWS/GCP concepts and workflows, with proven experience in UNIX/Linux, Mac OS X and Windows system administration. The HoT should have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
A working knowledge of the following is also necessary:
· Compositing and colour grading applications
· Experience with scale (Renderfarms, Clusters, Clouds, Enterprise, etc.)
· MYSQL, database administration design and replication.
· Software version control (GIT, SVN)
· Active Directory concepts, troubleshooting and design.
· Code and script (Python, PHP, BASH)
Closing date for applications: Friday 22nd February 2019