Operations Manager, Front EndLondon Apply now
FES Operations Manager
Reports to: Director of Business Operations. Works closely with the FES team – producers, operators and technical support. Maintains strong relationships with Episodic, Features, VFX, Workflow, Sales, Engineering and the Software team based in LA.
Positioning of Role: The role is dedicated to overseeing the FES team, working to integrate Dailies and Pulse, alongside the development of new workflows and product lines.
- Excellent technical knowledge of Digital Dailies activities, with deep knowledge of camera formats along with the associated colour and metadata management including ALEs/CDLs/LUTs etc.
- Strong knowledge of the DIT role and process on set
- Good technical knowledge of Editorial and Conform activities including EDL / ALE manipulation, Conforms etc.
- Understanding of Data & I/O Operations including LTO formats and operation
- Strong networking and storage knowledge, NAS, SAN, GPFS etc.
- Developed understanding of VFX Pulls and the associated colour management BLG, CDL, LUT etc.
- Experience of (and interest in) digital production workflows used on high end feature and broadcast projects
- A Logical Problem Solver with good Attention to detail and excellent communication skills
- Experience of Monitoring/Reporting/Ticketing Tools
- Experience of dealing with high profile clients
- Provide technical support for Technicolor’s software library. They will have a good working understanding of Dailies (including camera file formats and associated colour management), VFX Pulls, Editorial and digital production workflows.
- The ability to conceptualise and communicate needs to the development team is desirable.
- Ability to travel/work on location, be it in a studio or on location abroad as and when required.
EXPECTATIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Management of a team of senior team leaders in operations and technical support
- Product lead on all client meetings/demoes/new projects to help productions understand and utilize products/services offered to facilitate their front-end requirements
- Technical lead on developing new workflows to integrate new initiatives into the Front-End services group and streamline all operational design
- Research & Development of new relevant products on the market, attendance at trade shows and actively participating in events as the ‘voice’ of Front-end cloud-based services
- Explore ways to enhance and optimise data capture on location
- Work with clients not familiar with ACES colour science, support and educate others to gain uptake of FES Products in an ACES workflow
- Communicate API operations and developments in close conjunction with the Workflow team, to clients, driving integration with tools like ShotGun etc.
- Work with sales to understand FES requirements of projects and design workflow/setup to help craft the project bids
- Drive forward product development for all Front-End Service offerings (Pulse, Sonar, Rush etc), ensuring Broadcast and Feature teams are engaged and have a full understanding of the products
- Develop commercial frameworks around all new initiatives/set-ups offered within Front-End services, to align with market and business requirements
- Network with clients and potential clients, to see what features and process can be built into FES Product offerings.
- Work with US development teams to feed in UK requirements/requests and ensure they are being added to sprints and delivered in a timely manner.
- Gain a good understanding of the on-set workflow for both features and episodic to help integrate OSD & DayLight workflows seamlessly into Pulse.
- Working with the US Team - Improve and maintain FES Products and stay up to date with developments/issues, including testing new builds
- Work directly with Pulse Dev team on a technical level (formats, colour, workflow etc.)
- Help the UK Producers to accurately capture and communicate feature requests to Pulse LA Team
- Gain an insight into editorial processes and procedures to help productise/automate workflows where possible
- Work with local teams on a technical level e.g. DFE, I/O, DI Editors to help develop a unified understanding of FES Products across the business
- Liaise with Production/Sales to understand upcoming projects. Review technical specifications and feed into FES workflows
- Second support line for all FES Products
- Develop relationships with the LA Colour Science team to drive pipelines towards HDR
- Work in close alignment with the workflow supervisor manage and develop project pipeline from camera to conform
- Understanding and troubleshooting for all storage/infrastructure relating to FES product line
- Network overview of all FES products, escalating incidents to engineering and global network teams
- Understand the full colour journey from camera capture all the way through to delivery and being able to give guidance to others on best operational/technical practices
- Guide the FES team with workflows on set, and educate on how this affects the downstream pipelines for other departments
- Support the testing of the complete FES process, for any project, prior to the start and during to ensure consistency
- To meet current and upcoming needs of the project (new formats/camera/codecs, in camera, editorial and for backing-up)
- Researching new system designs of onset projects
- Overseeing onset projects to support technical operations as and when required
Hours of Work
- Given involvement with US Studios, flexibility in work across the evening is considered important, especially as projects are being delivered. Acceptance of the often-unpredictable nature of projects and spikes in overall workload is critical to the role.