System/Network EngineerLondon Apply now
Production Systems Engineer, Technicolor Post UK
Business Unit: Technology Services
Reports to: Head of Engineering
Direct reports: Production Technology Support (PTS) Team
Key liaison: Head of Engineering, Digital Operations Manager, Workflow Supervisor, Head of Systems, Global Head of Technology (VFX)
- Main duties and tasks
- Install, Locally or Remotely configure and support the Production System foundational infrastructure consisting of core servers, storage and networking components. Install, locally or remotely configure and support all Production System servers and workstations (including Windows, Linux, Mac) and LAN/WAN networking to optimize systems support and availability of the Systems for Production work. Feed operational and technology support requirements into the business plan and budget
- Investigate Locally or Remotely any Production System technical issues and take corrective action as necessary, documenting good working practices. Troubleshoot and perform repairs as required. Perform routine maintenance adhering to published maintenance schedule. Generate and maintain detailed technical, operational and configuration documentation and workflows.
- Manage and track the system inventory for Production equipment. Monitor software usage and licensing to comply with intellectual property, copyright and other regulations. Report on application and service performance indicators and uptime. Document of existing applications and services, software licensing, and maintenance schedule.
- Work with core servers, storage, software, production/corporate and networking engineers. Coordinate with production software development for installation and changes. Communicate and collaborate with internal customers e.g. Post Production, Data IO, Sound Services and I.T
- Manage the disaster prevention and recovery plans to ensure 24/7 accessibility of the Production System and minimal disruption to Production. Implement repair procedures to recover from system failures, coordinating with key internal stakeholders and communicating appropriately to impacted users.
- Adhere to Technicolor's Computer Systems policies and standards. Set and comply with security protocols for storing and processing client’s content on the Production network. Minimise all security breach risks and take remedial actions to pass all digital security audits and comply with digital security standards.
- Make suggestions to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness. Engage in quality initiatives to ensure work output is of a high quality to meet client expectations.
- Evaluate and document performance of new applications and services prior to purchase. Provide input into the Engineering budget (CapEx and labour), tracking annual maintenance and support expenditure and creating CapEx requests and inputting the details into the purchasing system. Create, establish and maintain vendor relationships for production applications and services.
- Key Skills
- SAN, NAS and GPFS storage systems such as Dell Isilon, Quantum StorNext, IBM
- Previous experience working within a digital media production setting with an understanding of workflow automation applications and video encoding and compression techniques
- Network switches – 10 to 100Gb including Mellanox, Alcatel, HP, IBM, Brocade
- VM installation and deployment
- Salt, Ansible
- A good understanding of scripting using python, bash etc
- Production systems – Baselight, Protools, Flame
- Transcoding systems – Clipster, Transcoder, Content Agent
- Automated File QC systems - Vidchecker, Baton
- File transfer systems – Aspera
- KVM systems – Avocent, Blackbox, Teradici
- Microsoft Windows Desktop and Server operating systems, Macintosh OSX, Linux
- Active Directory implementation and management
- Ticketing system management and deployment
- Problem Solving, Resilience and Tenacity: Breaks problems or processes into smaller, simpler more manageable tasks or activities, takes resources, constraints and the wider implications of the situation into consideration, makes causal links between causes of events and the consequences / outcomes, identifies alternative methods that are based on logical assumptions, analysis or information, anticipates challenges and plans alternatives prior to problems occurring and creates out-of-the-box ideas, concepts or theories to solve problems
- Attention To Detail: Establishes and defines clear systems, working practices and procedures, creates mechanisms and feedback loops for double-checking information, keeps clear, detailed and auditable records, monitors the quality of the work output for the department and recommends improvements and designs tools such as flow charts and projects plans to improve the quality of data and services
- Business Acumen/Continuous Improvement: Proactively shares information with colleagues and subordinates, supports and encourages the learning and development of others, suggests and implements changes in working methods, systems or operations to improve performance, sets challenging but achievable goals and expectations to drive performance, attends seminars/conferences and talks to others about new or emerging methods and technologies and reads up on industry news and trends, identifies and responds to changes that may impact the team or it’s clients
- Accountability: Offers ideas for improvement to promote the goals of Technicolor, acts on current responsibilities or problems, persists to overcome obstacles, reacts to short-term opportunities or challenges and acts quickly and decisively in a crisis with a sense of urgency
- Teamwork: Shares all relevant or useful information, values others’ input and expertise, displays willingness to learn from others, solicits ideas and opinions from others and supports team decisions, Promotes cross-functional collaboration and understands the potential impact, uses, and consequences of own work for other functions