Senior System AdministratorLos Angeles , CA Apply now
The Systems team is responsible for designing, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting the technology infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to, storage, networking, workstations and rendering. It also includes the various software elements around both the core operating system(s) and the various application layer components that are deployed upon that framework.
The Senior Systems Administrator does not wait for activity. They seek opportunities for improvement and continually challenge the status quo looking for methods to improve the services we deliver to our clients. The ideal candidate will have the ability to respond promptly and directly to problems in high pressure client attended sessions and resolve issues in a calm and efficient manner. They will also work closely with our larger worldwide Systems team to continue to define and implement best practices.
The Senior Systems Administrator is encouraged to propose and lead projects that will advance the technology framework. This includes elements of project management, communication across other departments and delegation of tasks and coordination of schedules.
- Contingency planning, setting/meeting milestones, coordinating communications and ensuring that documentation and support needs are accommodated
- Actively mentor and assist in the technical development of mid and junior staff
- Be an example of technical excellence
- Install, support and maintain servers and storage file systems
- Ensure systems run reliably, plan for and implement upcoming requirements, and respond to service outages or other systems related problems
- System performance optimization
- Scripting and light programming
With offices all over the globe, MPC is one of the world's leading visual effects studios, creating high-end VFX for the advertising and feature film industries. We are constantly looking for the best talent in the world, enthusiastic people that come to work every day with the desire to be a part of some of the best work in the industry.
Our teams in Los Angeles, and throughout our global network of studios, produce creative, visually stunning and technically challenging VFX and digital projects of the highest quality, and we are looking for candidates with a desire to be involved in the success of these projects.
- A high functioning knowledge of one or more of the following: Linux, storage and networking
- A working knowledge of a scripting languages (Shell, Python or Perl)
- A pragmatic approach to project delivery, training and documentation
- A thorough grounding in storage and networking concepts and techniques
- Experience of virtualization systems, performance benchmarking and database administration
- Strong self-guided problem solving skills
- Autonomous, resourceful, positive and calm in a production oriented environment
- A commitment to teamwork, excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Previous extensive experience in a Linux systems administrator role
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering or related field
- Experience with collaborating on projects, including the use of source control and reviewing patches
- Experience with distributed systems and TCP/IP networking
- Familiarity with software packages like Maya, Nuke and Houdini helpful
- Experience working in a multi-site or global setup