The Tracking / Layout Artist will work closely with the CG Supervisor and VFX Supervisor. Your primary focus will be to recreate the sets, objects and camera motion of a shot to match the live-action background plate images.
They would report into the Creative Director.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Convert background plates to different formats compatible with specific software to create digital motion files that match the plate photography; animate any live action character/object in the scene
- Proactively undertake complex matchmove tasks (camera tracking, character matching, resolving lens distortion/native stereo plates, deformation matching of surfaces
- Creating sets other models for Animators and relevant teams
- Independently set up the technical and aesthetic approaches of the matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or an entire aspect of a show
- If required, light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move
- Photomodels, executes scene setup: verifying correct assets and ranges, and generating initial data for downstream artists including animation/TDs/comp, lidar processing,
- Other tasks assigned by Supervisors
Qualifications and Skills
- Expertise in PfTrack or 3dEqualizer and advanced knowledge of Maya.
- Proficiency in delivering high-quality camera tracking and layouts (both single shots & multiple camera setups).
- Ability to interpret storyboards and pre-vis work from clients.
- Ability to manage and QC shots from other artists or vendors, providing useful and precise feedback.
- Ability to manage and understand lens distortion, survey geometry and set alignment.
- Broad 3D generalist experience and comfortable with matchmove, asset build and lighting is a plus
- Capacity to share techniques with peers and communicate effectively.
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills to react and respond quickly to the needs of management and clients.
- A multi-tasker, team player and a self-starter with high trouble-shooting skills