Pipeline Technical DirectorToronto , Ontario Apply now
About Technicolor VFX:
Technicolor VFX is the best of both worlds, we can work with you as standalone VFX creatives, or in collaboration with our Technicolor Post family to support your vision from script to screen.
From Features to Episodic, our Creative Directors work with their expert teams to provide on set supervision, with a full CG VFX pipeline, we are specialists in character enhancement, environments and compositing.
Our creative VFX teams are located in London, Toronto and Los Angeles, making Technicolor VFX global in size but local in feel.
Pipeline Technical Director
The Pipeline Technical Director is responsible primarily to develop and maintain the VFX pipeline. Also, build on tools/scripts that enhance workflows through the VFX pipeline and shot database.
The collective goal is to generate exciting visuals using powerful and efficient tools and workflows.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design systems, maintain existing tools, and support artists and leads in their production tasks
- Troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Support and work with multiple production departments including Layout, Previz, Animation, Fx and CFx.
- Maintain a high degree of quality, attention to detail, and level of communication while designing and implementing solutions within the existing pipeline.
- Remain abreast of new and emerging technologies and attempt to implement them effectively.
- Ensure that all software development follows studio policies and guidelines.
- 3+ years of experience in feature animation or VFX production pipeline technology
- a Computer Science Degree (or equivalent), or 5+ years experience in production pipeline technology work
- proficiency in Python
- proficiency in Linux shell scripting, specifically bash scripting
- proficiency using one or more industry-specific vendor software applications: Maya, Katana, Houdini, Nuke, etc.
- proficiency with one or more vendor Scripting APIs: MEL / Maya Python, Katana, Houdini, Nuke, etc.
- proficiency with writing Shotgun Python API scripts, as well as managing Shotgun site configurations and Shotgun projects using the Shotgun web UI
- a strong understanding of production processes and artist workflows within film and television visual effects pipelines
- proficiency working with one or more render queue managers (e.g. Deadline, Tractor, etc.), and experience with writing custom render job submissions
- experience with workflows based on Pixar’s USD scene description language
As the Pipeline Developer, you will be a key member of our global Pipeline team. You will spend your days
- designing, developing, testing, and maintaining VFX production pipeline custom software tools and components. The pipeline supports large environments, complex fx simulation and our rapidly growing creature department.
- reporting to the Pipeline Lead but working closely with the Head of Technology, CG Supervisors, and other leads/supervisors to help engineer solutions (tools and workflow) for pipeline enhancements and fixes
- investigating bugs/issues with existing tools, while designing and implementing fixes and features as needed
- mentoring and providing guidance to junior members of the team
- assisting in production floor support
- working directly with artists to investigate and address urgent issues related to custom pipeline tools